It’s the St. Eusebius of Vercelli’s Day edition of the Friday Files, SEA’s weekly dig through our archives. The views expressed in these articles and links aren’t always Arminian, and therefore aren’t always those of SEA. Our members’ names are in blue. Posts are from the last week of July and first week of August…
Last year! (2018)
- Jakob Hermanszoon, “James Arminius’ 20 Reasons for Rejecting Theodore Beza’s Supralapsarian Predestination.” Why he had a problem with Beza’s view that God first decreed who’d be elect and who not, then not-really-manipulated-but-kinda-did Adam and Eve into falling. [As if we need 20 reasons. One—God isn’t the author of evil—will do.]
- Steve Witzki, “Is Perseverance in Faith Necessary to Obtain Final Salvation?” Yes. As John Wesley noted, “God is the Father of them that believe, so long as they believe.”
- Daniel LaLond Jr., “Moody Church’s Dr. Lutzer Out of Step with Founders.” Paul says those who commit works of the flesh won’t inherit God’s kingdom. [Ga 5:21] Lutzer, as a caveat to Calvinist-style perseverance, says they may not inherit it, but still get to enter it. What the what?
Five years ago! (2014)
- Keith Coward, “Calvinist Pastor Turns from Calvinism to Arminianism after 20 Years as a Calvinist and Intensive Study.” From a response to Ben Henshaw’s X-Calvinist Corner,” how Coward found the more you study the scriptures, the more you realize Calvinism’s favorite proof texts aren’t quoted in context. Which cost him his job.
- David L. Allen, “Isaiah 53 and Limited Atonement: Review of Motyer’s Chapter in From Heaven He Came and Sought Her, Part 11.” It’s a great chapter… till Motyer tries to eisegete limited atonement into the passage.
- David L. Allen, “Is the Atonement Limited in the Synoptics and John? Review of Harmon’s Chapter in From Heaven He Came and Sought Her, Part 12.” Three Johannine passages, how Harmon claims they only appear to affirm universal atonement, along with a bit of sloppy logic.
Ten years ago! (2009)
- Solus Arminius, “Setting the Record Straight: The Current State of Modern Reformation Arminianism.” A three-part article: Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3. How Cornelius Van Til, J.I. Packer, and R.C. Sproul misrepresent Arminianism as heresy, despite the fact we agree with the principles of the Reformation: Salvation comes sola gratia, sola fide, solus Christus, soli Deo gloria.
- Dan Chapa, “Friday Files: Edgar’s ‘The Meaning of Προγινώσκω (“Foreknowledge”)’.” A look at Thomas R. Edgar’s CTS Journal article [PDF] about the word we translate “foreknow.” [Which gets spelled “proginwskw” if you’re using the Symbol font instead of Unicode.]
- Martin Glynn, “Ephesians 1:11-12; A Devotional.” No Arminian denies God predestines; it’s what he predestines, and in this passage that’s Israel. He wants to save them. [And, further along in Ephesians, gentiles too!]
Links to visit!
SEA has lots of links to the things our members and other Arminians have written and blogged. If the Friday Files articles aren’t enough reading material for you, start the deep dive into these other sites.